Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Brush your teeth

I don't get it. I love to brush my teeth. I love going to the dentist and getting my teeth cleaned. But my children, now that's another story. They are teenagers and I still have to remind them to brush their teeth. Even then, they don't always do it. You would think after being told every morning and every night for most of their lives that they would get it. Nope, not mine. Apparently, summer vacation also means you don't have to brush your teeth. How do I know they haven't been brushing their teeth? I took the toothpaste out of their bathroom almost a week ago.
This morning I asked them when they had brushed their teeth last, each of them told me, "Mom, we brush our teeth every day." To which I replied, "How are you brushing your teeth without toothpaste." My daughter had a tube of her own hidden from her brothers. So she was off the hook. But both of the boys just stared at me with that deer in the headlights look, trying to figure out how they were going to explain their way out of this one. Which of course prompted the reply from the oldest, "We've just been brushing them with water." To which the youngest son nods his head and replies, "Yeah, with water." I can see in his eyes, that at that moment his older brother has just reached another level of genius. Exhausted at the thought of the debate that was about to ensue, I went into my bathroom and retrieved the confiscated tube of toothpaste.

Let's get this straight my children are no dummies. I can guarantee that if I promised to give them each $10 a month from today and never said another word about it, on August 21st each of them would approach me requesting their $10. My oldest son would be the first to ask. (He's our banker, barterer, and self appointed attorney for his siblings.) Knowing him as soon as he woke up that morning he would mention it or even give me a reminder the night before. He is also my worst tooth brushing offender.

The thing that puzzles me the most is how does this happen? Why is it the most basic of responsibilities they forget? But every non-important thing is forever burned in their brains. When they grow up, will I have to call them every morning and evening to remind them to brush their teeth and make sure they are brushing the teeth of my grandchildren? What woman will want to marry either of my boys if they have yuck mouth? In my mind, I see family photos of my toothless boys, with their toothless wives and toothless children. You know the photos of random people that get passed around in joke emails, those old Olan Mills family pics with everyone wearing matching primary colored geometric patterned sweaters, acid washed jeans, big hair and yes, the mullet.
I have to do something. I know! I'll revive the "star" chart. I'll give them each a star sticker every time they brush their teeth. LOL Or maybe that clicker used to train dogs, or a bell perhaps. Just like Pavlov's dogs. Only when they hear a bell it will cause them to brush their teeth.

An old pic of the genius (left) and his minion

Well, I guess in the end it will all work out. Somehow they must be doing OK, beacause the dentist always says, "No cavities." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment