Monday, August 9, 2010

Stuffed Mexi-Peppers

Things have been pretty busy lately. I've picked up extra work, the oldest is moving back home while she goes back to college, and it's back to school time for the younger ones. So, I haven't posted much of anything. I also figured it's past time to post a new recipe. I mean afterall that's what I had planned to do with this blog.

So here's one of our favorite dinners. We normally only have it in the summertime when we can grow our own peppers and know that they aren't covered in pesticides. I know I can buy organic at the grocery but for as many peppers as these guys can put down, I'd spend a small fortune. Winter meals using peppers consist of recipes that I can add other ingredients to, like stir fry or fajitas. So this is a summertime treat.

This is a pretty big recipe but my crew loves to eat these and will have them the next day for lunch, after school or again for dinner. You can scale this down to whatever size works for your family

Stuffed Bells in the oven
Had some Pablanos so I used them too












Stuffed Mexi-Peppers

10-12 Medium to large Bell peppers (any color) or Pablanos
2 lb ground beef or turkey or half meat and half black beans
2 cups salsa
1 box spanish rice mix
2 cups fresh or frozen corn (optional)
1 quart jar or large can of tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Wash, and remove tops and core of peppers. Mix together meat, salsa, rice mix, and corn. Stuff into peppers. Place peppers in bakin dish and cover with tomato sauce. You can use more salsa in place of the tomato sauce or mix 50/50. Bake until meat is cooked through about 45 minutes - 1 hour. Sprinkle with cheese if desired, place back in oven until melted.

You can pretty much add anything you want. Sometimes I cut the meat in half and add black beans or diced green chiles. It's really good with some mexican cornbread on the side or a salad.

What ingredients do you use in your stuffed pepper recipes?

Enjoy,
Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment